I'm almost completely recovered, but I recently received a hard lesson in instant karma courtesy of the universe.
Sometimes it really pays to carefully review your emails BEFORE you actually hit the send button.
Last week I attended a meeting that was being moderated by one of my newbie co-workers. The agenda was presented was incoherent, facts and figures were missing, etc. etc. Several of us who have been in the department for more than five minutes have been trying, delicately, to show them the ropes without hanging them from one. When you're not that person's supervisor you definitely tread the razors edge.
Well, I was appropriately irked after the meeting; I thought it made our department look ridiculous. Miss Nit Picker 2008 sat down at her desk and began composing an email (I don't recall that I was actually going to send it to anyone, I was just venting); one that was not especially flattering. I think words like "servile and sycophantic" might have been used (the individual in question does have a habit of agreeing with EVERYONE!). Additional phrases like "why does "so and so" need to reinvent the wheel?" were also included. click, click, click, my fingers flying furiously over the keyboard.
You've probably guessed what I did next ... Yes, that's right ... I SENT it to the very person I was kvetching about. WTF???
I realized it the moment it happened and was so flustered that I couldn't open the freaking drop down menu to RECALL the message ... OH NO! TOO LATE ... they read it.
SHIT. SHIT. SHIT.
What did I do? Well, I went to the two people in the office I trust most for advice. After they finished laughing at me, we all agreed that firing up the BBQ and eating a nice BIG portion of crow was my only way out.
So I gathered up my courage and admitted I was an asshole. And a lucky asshole at that; this individual, though saddened by my email, was understanding and glad that I had aired my thoughts. WHEW.
Fast forward. We're probably on better terms than before and the newbies are now ASKING QUESTIONS instead of trying to reinvent that damned wheel.
All's well that ends well? I don't know ... but at least I still have a job!! LOL
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
*snickering* THIS is what happens when you don't call me, darlin! ;-)
Post a Comment